Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Resuming my comments on writing instruction

Most of what I've had to say about writing instruction over the past several weeks has been put into conversations with a wide range of people, and I've been keeping a lot of notes in my handwritten personal journal. I think I'll abandon the book reviews I've been writing in this space, at least for the present. I think I'd rather focus on a lot of the things I've been thinking about, as I've reflected on this year's teaching and writing center work, honors oral exams with senior English and education majors, editing our campus publication of exemplary student writing, some reading on WAC and first-year seminars with an eye to suggesting changes in our general education writing requirements, and conversations about writing with colleagues at other institutions as well as other disciplines at my own.

I want to comment on a number of things here, including some assessment issues, portfolio pedagogy, the kinds of writing we assign in college courses, the value of thinking programmatically rather than course by course or class by class, and the role of theory.

No comments: