Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Starting Over: An English Professor Writes

I guess I didn't have all that much to say last year, when I started the blog, since I posted only once last March. Or maybe the issue was getting the time for writing. It isn't easy for a fifty-something-year-old woman to change her writing habits. I keep a personal journal, handwritten, in a handmade blank book. And I write a lot of instructional materials for my classes. I even kept a writer's notebook on the College's network last semester, a notebook that my students had access to. I figured that if I asked them to write 6 pages/week, I should keep pace with them. So that was significantly more public than my usual journal-keeping.
But I find it difficult to get into the habit of writing regularly in a public forum. I don't even post often to the listservs I join. I ask myself, "Who cares what I think?" and that's my excuse for not writing.
But I'm going to take the plunge once more. This is where I'll post some of my thoughts about teaching, about writing, and about the reading I'm doing. And maybe I'll get some of my students to do the same, to move their writing from their classroom logs to the blogosphere.

No comments: